Mobile phone and PDA usability tests is critical on your business. Actually mobile and handheld usability testing could possibly be even more important than computer-based user friendliness testing. The key reasons for this are:
— The number of people accessing the web from mobile phone and portable devices can be increasing by a massive price – in 2008 alone there’ll always be an estimated 58 million PDAs sold worldwide.
— People generally have way less experience of using their mobile to get online than they do of using their computer system. This means that computer-based users can be assumed to possess a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
– The platform through which users access your site is certainly far less expected when using mobile phone devices. Computer-based site visitors generally simply differ from the other in their web browser and operating-system (i. vitamin e. most people will make use of a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas different types of mobile phones and PDAs vary can substantially.
Which in turn mobile phones and PDAs do you need to consider?
Mobile phone devices and PDAs can differ from a single another dramatically, and this should radically adjust how people experience and use websites. Some of the ways that handheld products can differ contain:
– Screen size (small vs . large)
– Screen layout (portrait vs . landscape)
– Input unit (stylus, www.go-israel.co.il numeric pad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellphone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that someone is applying will have this kind of a deep effect on their particular experience of your site, you should try to evaluate with several mobile phones and PDAs as is feasible.
Of course , testing with every cellular phone and PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT is unattainable. Here are some guidelines to help narrow down the number of products you’ll need to test out with:
— Your cell site visitors may belong to a unique audience. Specific audiences are more likely to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. phones with big screens that will support internet access vs . small-screen styles that aren’t).
– You will find ‘phone families’ that offer a very similar user encounter (and will never need to be tested individually).
— You may only want to test with the most well-liked mobile phones in Europe as well as most popular models that are being used to get your site (you actually can check your site stats to find out this information).
Who do you wish to test with?
The people you want to conduct your mobile phone wonderful testing consultations with will certainly, of course , depend on your particular organization and its projected audience. Some things to bear in mind include:
— How much knowledge they should include of utilizing their mobile phones to gain access to services. That is particularly important as the market to get accessing online services through mobile phones is growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. people using the technology for the first time) will be even higher than for computer users of the website.
– Which cellphone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We would usually suggest that people apply their own cellphone in a workout, so the test can focus on your website and never on the way the hand-held device works.
Wherever should mobile phone usability testing sessions become conducted?
Cellphones and PDAs are used inside the real world hence usability tests of handheld devices should therefore not merely take place in a usability lab.
Where, when ever and how a mobile phone is utilized is critical into a person’s experience of the site they can be accessing. The following instances could influence this encounter and therefore things to consider of the site’s usability:
— Background noise
– Contingency tasks (i. e. whatever the person is doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we’d recommend, whenever possible, that any kind of mobile phone and PDA simplicity testing is conducted at a lab and also inside the ‘outside world’.
How you arrange and manage mobile phone functionality sessions will be based on your organization and its crowd, but the most popular strategies to mobile usability testing contain:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
— Diary-studies (asking people to continue to keep a record of how they may have used the mobile phone and any problems they encounter)
– Conventional paper prototypes (running usability diagnostic tests on a paper-based version for the site, employing mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)