Cellular phone and PDA usability tests is critical to your business. Actually mobile and handheld simplicity testing could be even more important than computer-based simplicity testing. The key reasons for this kind of are:
— The number of persons accessing the web from mobile phone and portable devices is certainly increasing for a massive www.agil.at pace – in 2008 by itself there’ll become an estimated fifty eight million PDAs sold all over the world.
— People generally have way less experience of using their mobile to continue online than they do of using their computer system. This means that computer-based users may be assumed to get a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
– The platform by which users access your site can be far less predictable when using cell phones. Computer-based website visitors generally just differ from one other in their browser and os (i. age. most people will make use of a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas the several types of mobile phones and PDAs change can dramatically.
Which in turn mobile phones and PDAs must you consider?
Cellphones and PDAs can differ from one another greatly, and this might radically adjust how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways handheld gadgets can differ incorporate:
– Screen-size (small or large)
– Display screen layout (portrait vs . landscape)
— Input product (stylus, numeric keypad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellular phone / PDA that an individual is using will have such a powerful effect on their experience of your web blog, you should try to test with as much mobile phones and PDAs as is possible.
Of course , assessment with every mobile phone and PDA is out of the question. Here are some guidelines to help narrow down the number of equipment you’ll need to evaluation with:
— Your cellular site visitors may well belong to a specific audience. Certain audiences tend to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. phone with big screens that are designed to support online access vs . small-screen models that aren’t).
– You will find ‘phone families’ that offer a very similar user encounter (and will not likely need to be examined individually).
— You may only want to test with all the most popular mobile phones in Europe and also the most well-liked models that are to be used to access your site (you actually can check your site statistics to find out this kind of information).
Who do you want to test with?
The people you intend to conduct the mobile phone functionality testing treatments with should, of course , be based upon your particular organization and its target market. Some things to bear in mind include:
— How much knowledge they should have of utilizing their mobile phones to view services. This is particularly crucial as the market intended for accessing web based services through mobile phones is growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. persons using the technology for the first time) will be far higher than with respect to computer users of your website.
— Which cellphone or PDA they have. We might usually advise that people work with their own cellular phone in a period, so the evaluation can focus on your website certainly not on the way the handheld device performs.
Where should cell usability screening sessions become conducted?
Cell phones and PDAs are used inside the real world hence usability tests of handheld devices will need to therefore not merely take place in a usability lab.
Where, the moment and how a mobile phone can be used is critical into a person’s connection with the site they are simply accessing. One of the following situations could influence this experience and therefore factors of the website’s usability:
— Background noises
– Concurrent tasks (i. e. anything at all the person is doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we would recommend, when possible, that virtually any mobile phone and PDA user friendliness testing is usually conducted both in a clinical and also inside the ‘outside world’.
How you schedule and manage mobile phone usability sessions depends on your business and its projected audience, but the the majority of popular ways of mobile functionality testing incorporate:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
– Diary-studies (asking people to maintain a record of how they may have used the mobile phone and any problems they encounter)
– Paper prototypes (running usability screening on a paper based version for the site, applying mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)